Ph.D. in Art Education and Women's Studies, The Pennsylvania State University
M.S. in Art Education, The Pennsylvania State University
B.A. in Art History, The Pennsylvania State University
Jennifer Richardson is an Associate Professor of Art Education at The Ohio State University and an affiliated faculty member in the Disability Studies Program. Her research explores social and cultural theory including representations of disability in visual culture and particularly the cultural construction of understandings of mental disability through both historical and contemporary representations. She has published in journals including Studies in Art Education, Disability Studies Quarterly, Visual Arts Research, International Review of Qualitative Research, Journal of Literary and Cultural Disability Studies and Art Education. Her artwork explores similar themes related to the representation of mental disability through multimedia installation and video. Dr. Richardson is also a creative writer and the author of both creative nonfiction and poetry. Her 2013 essay published in South Loop Review was nominated for a Pushcart Prize.
- 2008 Recognition for solo exhibition from Governor Ted Strickland for "artistic vision to break down the stigma against mental illness and substance abuse".
- 2006 Hoffa Dissertation Award.
- 1998 The Clyde McGreary Scholarship.
- 1998 Robert Rauschenberg Outstanding Teacher Award.
- 1997 Art History Graduation Marshall.
- 1997 Creative Achievement Award, Art History.
- 2004. "Mythic Figures and Lived Identities: Locating the "Girl" in Feminist Discourse." In All About the Girl: Power, Culture, and Identity, edited by Anita Harris,
- 2016, "Exhibiting mental illness: The parodies and performances of Charcot’s hysteric patients and Bobby Baker.." Visual Culture & Gender 11, ,
- 2016, "The Journey of a Hospital Gown: Performing Needlework." Disability Studies Quarterly 36, no. 3, ,
- 2016, "The women lament: Unraveling the “I” in arts research." Studies in Art Education 57, no. 1, 63-75 - 63-75. ,
- 2014, "Dr. Phil, Medical Theaters, Freak Shows, and Talking Couches:The Talking Stage as Pedagogical Site." Journal of Literary & Cultural Disability Studies 8.1, 67–80 - 67–80. ,
- 2012, "Behind Closed Doors: The Pedagogy and Interventionist Practice of Digital Storytelling." Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy 9, no. 1, 7-15 - 7-15. ,
- 2011, "Growing Up Katie Xinyan." International Review of Qualitative Research 4, 193-198 - 193-198. ,
- 2010, "Writing Dora: Creating community through autobiographical zines about mental illness.." Journal of Cultural Research in Art Education 28, 25-38 - 25-38. ,
- 2010, "â€œBipolar makes me a bad motherâ€�: A performative dialogue about representations of motherhood.." Visual Culture and Gender no. 5, 28-34 - 28-34. ,
- 2009, "M/Other." Journal of Visual Culture and Gender 4, ,
- 2009, "Admission: Madness and (be)coming out within and through spaces of confinement." Disability Studies Quarterly 29, no. 2, ,
- 2008, "A Visual Culture of Stigma: Critically Examining Representations of Mental Illness." Art Education ,
- 2008, "A visual culture of stigma: Critically examining representations of mental illnes." Art Education 61, no. 5, 13-18 - 13-18. ,
- 2007, "Just Looking and Staring Back: Challenging Ableism Through Disability Performance Art." Studies in Art Education 49, no. 1, 7-22 - 7-22. ,
- 2006, "Next Slide Please: : The Magical, Scientific, and Corporate Discourses of Visual Projection Technologies." Studies in Art Education 48, ,
- 2006, "Beyond Bombardment: Subjectivity, Visual Culture and Art Education." Studies in Art Education 47, no. 2, 155-169 - 155-169. ,
- 2006, "Writing visual culture: Transmission and intertextual metaphors of teaching and communication." Visual Arts Research ,