Ph.D. in Art Education and Women's Studies, The Pennsylvania State University
M.S. in Art Education, The Pennsylvania State University
B.A. in Art History, The Pennsylvania State University
Jennifer Richardson is an Associate Professor of Art Education at The Ohio State University and an affiliated faculty member in the Disability Studies Program. Her research explores social and cultural theory including representations of disability in visual culture and particularly the cultural construction of understandings of mental disability through both historical and contemporary representations. She has published in journals including Studies in Art Education, Disability Studies Quarterly, Visual Arts Research, International Review of Qualitative Research, Journal of Literary and Cultural Disability Studies and Art Education. Her artwork explores similar themes related to the representation of mental disability through multimedia installation and video. Dr. Richardson is also a creative writer and the author of both creative nonfiction and poetry. Her 2013 essay published in South Loop Review was nominated for a Pushcart Prize.
- 2008 Recognition for solo exhibition from Governor Ted Strickland for "artistic vision to break down the stigma against mental illness and substance abuse".
- 2006 Hoffa Dissertation Award.
- 1998 The Clyde McGreary Scholarship. Clyde McGreary.
- 1998 Robert Rauschenberg Outstanding Teacher Award. Robert Rauschenberg and the Lab School Washington D.C..
- 1997 Creative Achievement Award, Art History. College of the Arts.
- 1997 Art History Graduation Marshall. The College of the Arts.
- 2004. "Mythic Figures and Lived Identities: Locating the "Girl" in Feminist Discourse." In All About the Girl: Power, Culture, and Identity, edited by Anita Harris, New York: Routledge. .
- 2011, "Growing Up Katie Xinyan." International Review of Qualitative Research 4, 193 - 198. ,
- 2010, "â€œBipolar makes me a bad motherâ€�: A performative dialogue about representations of motherhood.." Visual Culture and Gender no. 5, 28 - 34. ,
- 2010, "Writing Dora: Creating community through autobiographical zines about mental illness.." Journal of Cultural Research in Art Education 28, 25 - 38. ,
- 2009, "Admission: Madness and (be)coming out within and through spaces of confinement." Disability Studies Quarterly 29, no. 2, ,
- 2009, "M/Other." Journal of Visual Culture and Gender 4, ,
- 2008, "A visual culture of stigma: Critically examining representations of mental illnes." Art Education 61, no. 5, 13 - 18. ,
- 2008, "A Visual Culture of Stigma: Critically Examining Representations of Mental Illness." Art Education ,
- 2007, "Just Looking and Staring Back: Challenging Ableism Through Disability Performance Art." Studies in Art Education 49, no. 1, 7 - 22. ,
- 2006, "Writing visual culture: Transmission and intertextual metaphors of teaching and communication." Visual Arts Research ,
- 2006, "Beyond Bombardment: Subjectivity, Visual Culture and Art Education." Studies in Art Education 47, no. 2, 155 - 169. ,
- 2006, "Next Slide Please: : The Magical, Scientific, and Corporate Discourses of Visual Projection Technologies." Studies in Art Education 48, ,
- Behind closed doors." Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy , "