Michele P. Carr, MA, RDH
Michele P. Carr, RDH, MA is Associate Professor and Chair, Division of Dental Hygiene at The Ohio State University, College of Dentistry in Columbus, Ohio. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in Education, certificate in Dental Hygiene and her Master of Arts Degree in Public Policy and Management, specializing in Health Services Administration, all from The Ohio State University. Prior to becoming at faculty member Michele worked in a variety of private practices including pediatric, periodontal and general practices.
Michele has been in dental hygiene education at The Ohio State University since 1989 where she began as a faculty coordinator working with patients with special needs, primarily children. While she worked with this population, Michele developed oral health programs and conducted research in an effort to improve oral health. She became a full time faculty member in the Division of Dental Hygiene in 1996 and became Chair of the program in 2004.
Michele has been involved nationally and locally serving on numerous committees such as the American Dental Education Association’s Council of Allied Dental Program Directors, the American Dental Hygienists’ Association Council on Policy and Bylaws, The Ohio Dental Hygienists’ Association Government Relations Committee and is a CODA consultant. Michele has published over 20 articles and presents numerous continuing education courses primarily on ultrasonics, local anesthesia and nitrous oxide sedation. Currently her research is focusing on interprofessional education, specifically with nurses in the hospital setting. She recently served on a task force to develop and implement the Oral Health Access Supervision Program which allows dental hygienists to work in public health facilities in collaboration with dentists to meet the dental needs of the underserved.
Michele’s on-line courses include Research and Interpretation and Current Concepts in the Degree Completion Program and in the Master’s in Dental Hygiene Program she teaches Contemporary Issues in Dental Hygiene and Leadership and Administration in Dental Hygiene Education.
Areas of Expertise
Health Services Administration
Dental Hygiene Administration
Interprofessional Education, specializing in nurses within the hospital setting
- 20100101 Senior Outstanding Instructor Award.
- 2012. "Power Scaling." In Dental Hygiene: Application to Clinical Practice,
- 2008, "Xylitol: An underutilized ally.." Journal of Practical Hygiene ,
- 2008, "Dental Plaque and Caries Prevention." Journal of Practical Hygiene ,
- 2007, "Evaluation of the safety and efficacy of an automated flossing device: a randomized controlled trial.." The Journal Of Clinical Dentistry 18, no. 2, 45 - 45. ,
- 2003, "Preference and compliance of waterless hand-hygiene products versus soap and water.." American Journal Of Dentistry 16 Spec No, 17A - 17A. ,
- 2002, "The effect of air polishing on contemporary esthetic restorative materials.." General Dentistry 50, no. 3, 238 - 238. ,