Francis J. Troyan is an associate professor of World Language Education and faculty advisor for the BSEd and MEd Programs in World Language Education and the OSU Teaching Internship in France. His research focuses on language learning, language use and language teaching in world language classrooms as a socially constructed process.
Troyan’s interest in language use, language learning and learning teaching grew out of his early language experiences with his grandparents who were immigrants from Poland. Based on these experiences, he developed a passion for language, language use and language ideologies. Specifically, in his work, Troyan examines why, how, for what purposes and in which situations we use language. This interest has motivated his work as a classroom teacher, as a teacher educator and as a researcher.
Troyan’s passion for language use in context is fueled by Systemic Functional Linguistics (SFL) (e.g., Halliday & Matthiessen, 2013). This theory of language use considers the ways in which language functions in social contexts for particular purposes. This theoretical perspective informs his research and teaching in world language teacher development, ideologies and practices in language immersion and plurilingual education, and the writing development of world language learners.
To learn more, please visit Dr. Troyan’s website
- 2006 Mead Fellowship.
- 1998 Hazel Lansberry Award for French.
- 1998 Provost's Study Abroad Scholarship.
- 1997 Provost's Study Abroad Scholarship.
- 2016. "Le Maine Francophone': An expeditionary unit targeting the development of higher-order thinking skills." In Content-based foreign language teaching: Curriculum and pedagogy for developing advanced thinking and literacy skills, edited by Cammarata, L.,
- 2016. "Assessing what matters within content-based foreign language teaching through Integrated Performance Assessment." In Content-based foreign language teaching: Curriculum and pedagogy for developing advanced thinking and literacy skills, edited by Cammarata, L.,
- 2017, "Using authentic resources to support all three modes of communication (Invited Issue Introduction).." The Language Educator 12, no. 4, 24-26 - 24-26. ,
- 2017, "Starting at the end: Deconstructing standards as planning’s first step." The Language Educator 12, no. 1, 38-41 - 38-41. ,
- 2017, "Integration PCK: Modeling the knowledge(s) underlying a world language teacher's implementation of CBI." Foreign Language Annals 50, no. 2, 458-476 - 458-476. ,
- 2017, "Making transparent the challenges of developing a practice-based pedagogy of teacher education." Teaching and Teacher Education 61, 26-36 - 26-36. ,
- 2016, Novice teachers' perspectives on learning in lesson rehearsal in second language teacher preparation. International Multilingual Research Journal 10, 188-200 - 188-200. ,
- 2016, "Learning to mean in Spanish writing: A case study of a genre-based pedagogy for standards-based writing instruction." Foreign Language Annals 49, no. 2, 317-335 - 317-335. ,
- 2016, "Learning to mean in Spanish writing: A case Study of a genre-based pedagogy for standards-based writing instruction." Foreign Language Annals 49, no. 2, ,
- 2015, "The functions of reflection in high-stakes assessment of world language teacher candidates." Foreign Language Annals 48, no. 3, ,
- 2015, "The Implementation of high-leverage teaching practices: From the university classroom to the field site." Foreign Language Annals 48, no. 1, ,
- 2014, "Preparing language teachers for plurilingualism through genre theory." Trema 42, ,
- 2014, "Finding 'The Lost C': Community learning partnerships through expeditionary learning." The Language Educator 9, no. 4, ,
- 2014, "Leveraging genre theory: A genre-based interactive model for the era of the Common Core State Standards." Foreign Language Annals 47, no. 1, ,
- 2014, "Classroom dynamic assessment of reading comprehension with second language learners." Language and Sociocultural Theory 1, no. 1, ,
- 2013, "Toward a practice-based approach for foreign language teacher preparation: A work in progress." Canadian Modern Language Review 69, no. 2, ,
- 2013, "A descriptive and co-constructive approach to Integrated Performance Assessment feedback." Foreign Language Annals 46, no. 1, ,
- 2012, "Standards for foreign language learning: Defining the constructs and researching learner outcomes." Foreign Language Annals 45, no. s1, ,
- 2012, "Integrated Performance Assessment (IPA) in an elementary school Spanish program." Association for Childhood Education International Focus on the Elementary 24, no. 3, ,
- 2011, "A guide to IPA implementation in FLES Programs." The Language Educator 6, no. 4, ,
- 2011, "Research on the Integrated Performance Assessment in an early foreign language learning program." Foreign Language Annals 44, no. 4, ,
- 2008, "Being authentic: Assessing standards-based tasks in a content-based curriculum." The Language Educator 3, no. 4, ,
- 2007, "Planning to meet a learning community’s needs." NECTFL Review 61, ,