Dr. Karen Hutzel
Dr. Karen Hutzel is a community engaged scholar, applying principles of participatory action research to her collaborations with community and cultural groups locally and globally. Her research and teaching expertise include: collaborative artmaking; asset-based community development; urban art education; and participatory action research. She is currently Senior Co-Editor of the Journal of Cultural Research in Art Education and serves or has served on the editorial review boards of: Studies in Art Education, Art Education, Canadian Review of Art Education, Jonkonnu Arts Journal, and Journal of Art for Life. She is regularly invited to review for journals in art education and action research, to review book proposals from significant publishers, such as Routledge and Teachers College Press. Dr. Hutzel has also co-authored the book, Transforming City Schools through Art: Approaches to Meaningful K-12 Learning, with Flavia Bastos and Kim Cosier (Teachers College Press, 2012). She has presented at numerous national and international conferences and her articles appear in Studies in Art Education; the International Journal of Arts Education; the Journal of Cultural Research in Art Education; Art Education; and the Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement. She has authored or co-authored book chapters in Art Education for Social Justice; Practice Theory: Seeing the Power of Teacher Researchers; andMy Art… My World: A Handbook on Service Learning in the Art Classroom.
Dr. Hutzel is Past President and Co-Founder of the Community Arts Caucus with the National Art Education Association, World Councilor for the International Society for Education through Art, and Fulbright Alumnus and Adjunct Professor with Edna Manley College of Visual and Performing Arts in Kingston, Jamaica. Dr. Hutzel has received many awards recognizing her community engaged scholarship and teaching excellence and has served in several leadership positions nationally and internationally. As Director of our department’s Online MA in Art Education program, she has worked closely with art teachers across the United States and abroad, influencing their practice through a comprehensive program curriculum. She has been invited to serve on significant university task forces, to participate on community boards and oversight committees, and to develop and evaluate programs and curricula in schools and organizations. In just ten years, she has acquired more than $100,000 in grants and funds to support her work.
Areas of Expertise
- Art education in cities
- Research and evaluative methodologies, particularly action r
- Asset-based community development
- Service learning and community arts
- Collaborative pedagogies of inquiry and artmaking
- 20110101-20130101 President and Provost's Leadership Initiative.
- 20120101 Higher Education Division Award Winner.
- 20090101 David Hoch Memorial Award for Excellence in Service.
- 20090101 Faculty Award for Excellence in Community-Based Scholarship.
- 20080101 Faculty and Staff Recognition.
- 20050101 Volunteer of the Year, West End YMCA.
- 2012. "A possibility of togetherness: Collaborative art learning for urban education." In Transforming city schools through art: Approaches to meaningful K-12 learning, edited by Hutzel, K., Bastos, F. M. C., & Cosier, K.,
- 2011. "Participatory action research in art education: Possibilities for social change through collaborative visual inquiry." In Practice theory: Seeing the power of teacher researchers, edited by Buffington, M. & Wilson McKay, S.,
- 2011. "Art in the Market: A visual essay of participatory art and action research." In Action Research at the University of Cincinnati, edited by M. Brydon-Miller,
- 2010. "“Sidewalk encounters”: Re-envisioning “problem” neighborhoods.." In Art education for social justice, edited by Anderson, T., Gussak, D., Hallmark, K. K., & Paul, A.,
- 2006. "Developing relationships: A reflection on my experience learning with a community." In My art… my world: A handbook on service learning in the art classroom, edited by Roy, R.K. & Cho, M.,
- 2011, "Art education online: Possibilities for multicultural art education through international collaboration." The International Journal of Arts Education 9, no. 1, 20-56 - 20-56. ,
- 2010, "Please update record with Title." The Journal of Arts Management, Law and Society no. 40, 324-327 - 324-327. ,
- 2010, "Eighth graders as role models: A service-learning art collaboration for social and emotional learning." Art Education 60, no. Accepted for publication, without qualification., 6-11 - 6-11. ,
- 2009, "White folk in black spaces." Journal of Cultural Research in Art Education 27, 132-144 - 132-144. ,
- 2008, "Being an art facilitator: "It's not just your agenda"." Ohio Art Education Association ARTline Summer, ,
- 2007, "A service-learning approach to teaching computer graphics." Art Education 60, no. 1, 33-38 - 33-38. ,
- 2007, "Promoting social and emotional learning through service-learning art projects." Art Education 60, no. 3, 6-11 - 6-11. ,
- 2007, "Reconstructing a community, reclaiming a playground: A participatory action research study." Studies in Art Education January 48, no. 3, 299-320 - 299-320. ,
- 2006, "Challenging our students' place through collaborative art: A service-learning project." Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement 11, no. 4, 125-134 - 125-134. ,
- 2004, "â€œArt in the Marketâ€� project: Addressing racial issues through community art." Journal of Cultural Research in Art Education 22, 86-98 - 86-98. ,
- 2003, "Taking art education to the streets: â€œThe Procession of the Speciesâ€� as community arts." Journal of Cultural Research in Art Education 21, 36-43 - 36-43. ,