Areas of Expertise
Nurseries - insects/mites, Landscape/insects, Landscape/turfgrass IPM, Christmas trees/insects
Monitoring and assessing seasonal populations of sod webworms, hairy chinch bug and bluegrass billbug. Light trap samples have been taken for approximately 18 year/locations and the sod webworms species and northern masked chafer adults have been identified and tallied. However, these data do not help determine larval behavior during an entire season. Studies are to be initiated to take periodic samples and extract the sod webworm larvae to determine life tables. An ongoing project is evaluating hairy chinch bug populations in lawns with a specific interest on how the Beauveria fungal disease appears to be failing to control populations during times of moisture. Many new insecticides and/or formulations are being evaluated each year to determine their spectrum of activity (types of turfgrass insect pests contolled) and timing strategies (preventive, curative, rescue).
- 20140601 Hall of Fame, Ohio Christmas Tree Growers Association.
- 20100101 Ohio Nursery & Landscape Association's 2010 Educator & Public Service Award.
- 20050101 Entomological Society of America, Section E, Certi.
- 20050101 2005 Leadership Award - sponsored by Lawn & Landsc.
- 19990101 Professional Excellence Award.
- 19980101 ESA Distinguished Achievement Award in Extension.
- 19830101 ESA Outstanding Teacher Award.
- 2014, "Suppression of ant mound activity on a golf course fairway, 2008." Arthropod Management Tests 38, G8 - G8. ,
- 2014, "Curative control of sod webworms in bentgrass turf, 2005." Arthropod Management Tests 38, G2 - G2. ,
- 2014, "Season-long control of sod webworms in bentgrass turf, 2008." Arthropod Management Tests 38, G3 - G3. ,
- 2014, "Preventive control of white grubs on a golf course rough, 2008." Arthropod Management Tests 38, G15 - G15. ,
- 2014, "Preventive control of the bluegrass billbug in lawn turf, 2012." Arthropod Management Tests 38, G9 - G9. ,
- 2014, "Curative control of sod webworms in bentgrass turf, 2008." Arthropod Management Tests 38, G4 - G4. ,
- 2014, "Curative control of hairy chinch bugs in lawn turf, 2012." Arthropod Management Tests 38, G7 - G7. ,
- 2011, "Donâ€™t Forget Those Pesky Billbugs!." Turf News! The Ohio Turfgrass Foundation Magazine 73, no. 2, 20-21 - 20-21. ,
- 2011, "Planning Your Grub Control Strategy for 2012.." Turf News! The Ohio Turfgrass Foundation Magazine 73, no. 6, 18-21 - 18-21. ,
- 2011, "Bugging Out! Thereâ€™s more than one reason why insecticides fail.." Lawn & Landscape Magazine no. January 2011, s11-s12 - s11-s12. ,
- 2010, "Implementing integrated pest management in professional lawn care: a case study." Urban Ecosyst. no. 13, 37-49 - 37-49. ,
- 2010, "What you should know about integrated pest management!." Turf News! The Ohio Turfgrass Foundation Magazine. 72, no. 1, 26-28 - 26-28. ,
- 2010, "Controlling lawn insects without pesticides: Part II - biological controls." Turf News! The Ohio Turfgrass Foundation Magazine 72, no. 3, 20-23 - 20-23. ,
- 2010, "Season-long caterpillar control, fact or fiction?." Turf News! The Ohio Turfgrass Foundation Magazine 72, no. 2, 8-13 - 8-13. ,
- 2008, First Report of Annual Bluegrass Weevil, Listronotus maculicollis, Damage in Ohio. Journal of Applied Turfgrass Science no. doi:10.1094/ATS-2008-0619-01-BR, ,
- 2003, "Abondance saisonniÃ¨re des espÃ¨ces de pyrales des prÃ©s (Lepidoptera: Crambididae) associÃ©es aux graminÃ©es B gazon au QuÃ©bec [Seasonal abundance of the sod webworm species (Lepidoptera: Crambinae) associated with turfgrass in Quebec]." Phytoprotection 84, no. 2, 69-75 - 69-75. ,