Rachel Kearney, RDH, MS
Rachel K. Henry RDH, MS is an assistant professor in the Division of Dental Hygiene at The Ohio State University College of Dentistry. She holds a BS in Dental Hygiene and a MS in Allied Medical Education from the Ohio State University. She was the 2009 Recipient of the American Dental Hygienists’ Association Future Leader Award. Rachel is currently the treasurer of the Ohio Dental Hygienists’ Association and serves on the American Dental Hygienists’ Association’s Council on Education. Rachel is also a 2014 fellow in the ADEA Leadership Institute. She is also a Quality Matters peer reviewer. She teaches ethics, professionalism and courses in the education specialization to undergraduate and graduate dental hygiene students. Rachel’s research focus is social media professionalism for health care providers. In her online courses she strives to make the student feel like they are part of the class and engages students on a regular basis through synchronous class sessions. She requires students to use a high level of technology in her courses and finds that even though there is a learning curve it enhances the students experience in online courses.
Areas of Expertise
Ethics & Professionalism in Education
Social Media Professionalism for Health Care Providers
- 2014 ADEA/Colgate-Palmolive Co. Allied Dental Educators Fellowship. Colgate-Palmolive Co..
- 2014 ODHA Outstanding Service Award. Ohio Dental Hygienists' Association.
- 2011 ODHA Outstanding Effort Award. The Ohio Dental Hygienists' Association.
- 2009 ADHA Esther Wilkins/Hu Friedy Future Leader Award.
- 2008 Phillips Sonicare Scholarship for "It's Academic...Let's Present It" Workshop. Phillips Sonicare.
- 2015, "The effect of gum chewing on sensitivity associated with in-office whitening procedures." International Journal of Dental Hygiene ePub, e1 - 7. ,
- 2014, "A survey of social media policies in U.S. dental schools.." Journal of dental education 78, no. 6, 850 - 855. ,
- 2014, "A Survey of Social Media Policies in US Dental Schools." JOURNAL OF DENTAL EDUCATION 78, no. 6, 850 - 855. ,
- 2014, "Dental Hygiene Diagnosis." Dimensions of Dental Hygiene 12, no. 9, 86 - ,
- 2014, "Determining the right interval for medical history updates." Dimensions of Dental Hygiene 12, no. 12, 74 - ,
- 2014, A Survey of Social Media Policy in U.S. Dental Schools. Journal of Dental Education 78, no. 6, 850 - 5. ,
- 2014, "The use of social media in dental hygiene programs: a survey of program directors.." Journal of dental hygiene : JDH / American Dental Hygienists' Association 88, no. 4, 243 - 249. ,
- 2014, "The Rise of E-Cigarettes." Dimensions of Dental Hygiene 5, 46 - 50. ,
- 2013, "Know Your State's Practice Act." Dimensions of Dental Hygiene 11, no. 8, 78 - ,
- 2013, Examination of Social networking professionalism among dental and dental hygiene students. Journal of Dental Education 77, no. 11, 1425 - 30. ,
- 2013, "The effect of light on tooth whitening: a split-mouth design." INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DENTAL HYGIENE 11, no. 2, 151 - 154. ,
- 2013, "Protect Your Practice with Informed Refusal." Dimensions of Dental Hygiene 11, no. 6, 70 - ,
- 2013, "Protect your practice with informed refusal of treatment." Dimensions of Dental Hygiene 11, no. 6, 70 - ,
- 2012, "Maintain Professionalism in a Digital Age.." Dimensions of Dental Hygiene 10, no. 10, 28 - 32. ,
- 2012, "A survey of US dental practices' use of social media." Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice 13, no. 2, 137 - 41. ,
- 2012, Effect of Light on Tooth Whitening: A Split Mouth Design. International Journal of Dental Hygiene EPub ahead of print, epub - ,
- 2011, "A comparison of millennial dental hygiene student and faculty classroom expectations.." Journal of dental hygiene : JDH / American Dental Hygienists' Association 85, no. 3, 229 - 239. ,
- Outcomes of an Oral Care Protocol in Post-Mechanically Ventilated Patients.." Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing , "
- Massive Open Online Courses in Dental Education: Two Viewpoints." Journal of Dental Education. , "
- The Use of Social Media in Dental Hygiene Programs: A Survey of Program Directors." Journal of Dental Hygiene , "